General Articles

IRS Q&A about Health Care Forms

By February 5, 2016 No Comments

The IRS has published questions and answers in regards to health care information forms for individuals (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B, and 1095-C).

The questions they answer are:

  1. Will I receive any new health care tax forms in 2016 to help me complete my tax return?
  2. When will I receive these health care tax forms?
  3. Must I wait to file until I receive these forms?
  4. What are the health care tax forms that I might receive and how do I use them?
  5. How will I receive these forms?
  6. My employer or health coverage provider has suggested that I opt to receive these forms electronically rather than on paper.  Are they allowed to ask me that?
  7. Will I get at least one form?
  8. Will I get more than one form?
  9. Will I get a Form 1095-C from each of my employers?
  10. How are the forms similar?
  11. How are the forms different?
  12. What do I need to do with these forms?
  13. What should I do if:
    1. I have a question about the form I received,
    2. I think I should have gotten a form but did not get it,
    3. I need a replacement form, or
    4. I believe the form I received has an error?
  14. Can I file my tax return if I have not received any or all of these forms?
  15. Am I required to file a tax return if I receive one of these forms?
  16. Should I attach Form 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C to my tax return?

To view the answers to these questions, click here.  For assistance in using these forms, please contact Brian McFarren at (231) 726-5815 or

Learn about our individual taxation services.